Hey there

New users - must post here first before you can access any other forums.
Zaggeta

Hey there

#1 Post by Zaggeta » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:42 am

Hi there

I'm an administrator from the Rational Standard. I was picking up that some of our views were coming from a thread on this site and was curious to see what was being said about the site. We always value feedback. I saw that thread viewing is restricted, however, so have decided to reach the necessary amount of posts in order to view it, and perhaps become a part of the community.

aris
Site Admin

Re: Hey there

#2 Post by aris » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:13 am

Yes, if you participate in debate, you are welcome. Tell us a bit about yourself.

Guinnessholic
Prolific Poster

#3 Post by Guinnessholic » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:49 am

What do you mean by 'freedom bias' for contributions?

http://rationalstandard.com/contribute/

This could be good.
Castigat ridendo mores

frank
Part of the Furniture

#4 Post by frank » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:08 am

welcome aboard! :hello:

Zaggeta

#5 Post by Zaggeta » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:22 am

Guinnessholic wrote:What do you mean by 'freedom bias' for contributions?
As we say in our Editorial, we don't lie and say that we're unbiased. It's impossible to be unbiased. What we can have in society is a myriad of opposing viewpoints which allows viewers to pick the one they feel is reasonable and truthful. On RS, we have a 'freedom bias'. Effectively, this means that contributors can write whatever they like as long as it doesn't call for an end to individual freedom.

About myself:

I'm a second year student at the University of Cape Town, with majors in Politics, Philosophy and Economic History. I've been involved in the liberty movement since Grade 10 and have since started and helped with a myriad of projects. I co-founded the Rational Standard with some colleagues from other pro-liberty groups. Hobby-wise, I play games, watch movies, and read. I also write science fiction and have self-published two novels.

YankeeSaffa

#6 Post by YankeeSaffa » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:33 am

Zaggeta wrote:
As we say in our Editorial, we don't lie and say that we're unbiased. It's impossible to be unbiased. What we can have in society is a myriad of opposing viewpoints which allows viewers to pick the one they feel is reasonable and truthful. On RS, we have a 'freedom bias'. Effectively, this means that contributors can write whatever they like as long as it doesn't call for an end to individual freedom.

About myself:

I'm a second year student at the University of Cape Town, with majors in Politics, Philosophy and Economic History. I've been involved in the liberty movement since Grade 10 and have since started and helped with a myriad of projects. I co-founded the Rational Standard with some colleagues from other pro-liberty groups. Hobby-wise, I play games, watch movies, and read. I also write science fiction and have self-published two novels.

Who, or which company, owns your website?

Zaggeta

#7 Post by Zaggeta » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:35 am

YankeeSaffa wrote:
Zaggeta wrote:
Who, or which company, owns your website?
Myself and three colleagues, listed on the About page, own the website. We're not incorporated.

aris
Site Admin

#8 Post by aris » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:43 am

Yes, we have restrictions based on posts - but that is just to keep the lurkers out. We get loads of people who sign up, and never post anything - hence never get past the welcome stage. Then the next bunch sign on, do their welcomes, then drop off quickly. I suspect because either they don't like to debate, or perhaps some of the members views here (which are varied and strong) don't fit in with their world view.

If you are open minded and willing to debate intelligently - you will fit right in here. Unless you get very very abusive we tend not to kick people off.

If it is my-way-or-the-highway - then you won't fit in :)

The one overriding connection everyone here has is that they have a connection to South Africa - and still take an interest (either as an optimist or pessimist or somewhere in between).

Zaggeta

#9 Post by Zaggeta » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:49 am

Completely reasonable. I will be lurking around and entering into debates where I can.

frank
Part of the Furniture

#10 Post by frank » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:22 pm

Zag...feel free to drop the occasional tidbit or bombshell
...life is not all debating and we are about life/living here...
we sometime have a grand fight, other times we simply listen
and offer our input...